* SAFETY first. While Zumba is a fun workout, we also make safety a priority. We will warm you up and cool you down at the end of the session. If you come late into class, make sure you warm up: move at a less intense pace for a few minutes. If you have to leave early, take a moment to deep breathe and stretch a little bit before you go on your way to cool your body down.
* The main rule is to HAVE FUN! Enjoy the music
and the freedom of movement. Drink water anytime, even if the music is
still on. Hydration = increased muscle flexibility.
* If you're new to Zumba, please remember: It takes a while to master
anything new. Do not get discouraged if it seems overwhelming or if you
can’t get the steps the first time. After 3 to 4 classes, you'll start
to remember the basic steps. You should be proud of yourself! There are no
wrong steps in Zumba, only spontaneous solos :)
* Zumba Fitness uses “dance-inspired” steps so no
need to be perfect or self-conscious. People often worry about not having
any rhythm or feeling uncoordinated. All you need is to like to dance or
move to music. We are often our own worst critics. Come as you are and
enjoy yourself. Nobody is judging.
* You don’t have to move like the instructor!
Just move like how you are comfortable and soon you’ll find your own
style. Keep in mind that instructors have had hours of practicing the
same song over and over so that you can follow the steps. And we may have
a “spontaneous solo” moment, too. Laughing is encouraged at that point.
* Shake, shimmy, booty shaking and pelvic tilts:
all of these fun movements are working muscles that you don’t normally
* If any of the steps are not comfortable or
hurt, stop doing it. Find an alternative step or modify the steps that
don’t feel good. It is always a good idea to let the instructor know if you
have an injury so that they can give you some modifications to avoid
aggravating it. There are always other fun ways to move that can work
* We, instructors, do our best to be aware and ensure appropriate sound levels for our music. If the music is too loud or too soft, please let us know. If you have sensitive hearing, please feel free to wear earplugs in class. It’s such a smart thing to do AND...self-care is sexy so wear them proudly.
* One thing you may notice in Zumba is
that there is minimal verbal instruction. The reason for this is that Zumba is about feeling the MUSIC, not about counting steps or being on the
right foot. Let your body move wherever the music takes
you; just look out for your neighbor :)
* If there are moves or steps you're not sure how to execute, ask your instructor after class. They'll happily show you so you can rock them next time.
* Same with music...If there are songs you love, ask your instructor for the title and the artist :)
* Stretching more after class or when you get home is highly recommended.
* When in doubt: Breathe, smile, and keep moving to
YOUR beat. You are taking care of yourself!
Licensed to teach
Zumba Basic License to teach regular Zumba® classes.
Zumba Toning License to teach body-sculpting techniques using Zumba Toning Sticks to enhance rhythm and build strength.
Zumba Sentao Licensed to teach the party-like workout that incorporates chairs to improve strength, definition and endurance.
Zumba Gold License to teach specially designed Zumba classes for the active older adult or deconditioned participant.
Zumba in the Circuit Has Zumba in the Circuit class(es)